Research vessel expeditions
Magmatic geochemistry and research vessels? – What at first seems like a contradiction has a deeper reason. With mid-ocean ridges, subduction zones and seamounts, most of the volcanic activity on Earth takes place in the oceanic crust, i.e. below sea level. There, the most complicated processes and interactions between hot rock and seawater take place, which significantly influence the climate and form economically usable raw materials. To collect samples, diving robots, grabs, drop tubes and drag boxes are used in water depths of up to 4000 m and more.
- Vesteris Seamount, 2019 – FS MS Merian – Ausfahrt MSM86
- Rio Grande Rise, 2019 – FS MS Merian – Ausfahrt MSM82
- Fidschi-Tonga, 2018 – FS Sonne – Ausfahrt SO263
- Paphsanias Volcano (Ägäis), 2017 – FS Poseidon – Ausfahrt POS512
- Azoren Plateau, 2016 – FS Meteor – Ausfahrt M128
- Azoren Plateau, 2015 – FS Meteor – Ausfahrt M113
- Vanuatu, 2013 – FS Sonne – Ausfahrt SO-229
Find an overview of sample sites and areas of the individual cruises in our Ship Cruise Archive.